Wednesday, December 4, 2013

January Jeans 2014: Time to be Rocky Now (for holiday eating)

In the days after Thanksgiving, I had my thoughts of doubt. Some of you probably think I don't have those, but I do. I can definitely imagine my eating falling apart at this time of the year. Part of me feels magnetized toward old eating ways. I have memories of a multitude of holidays where I could almost see the pounds landing on me as I could not stop myself from my food vices. Lots of mind games about who I am and who I'm not, and who I'm supposed to be....

It reminded me of this scene from the movie, Rocky, where Rocky had those thoughts too:

Adrian: You worked so hard.
 
Rocky: Yeah, that don't matter. 'Cause I was nobody before.
 
Adrian: Don't say that.
 
Rocky: Ah come on, Adrian, it's true. I was nobody. But that don't matter either, you know? 'Cause I was thinkin', it really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood. 


Ah, Rocky! So much doubt from a person with so much potential. And yet, this story would not have the same depth without this scene.

(According to IMDb: Sylvester Stallone insisted on the scene where he admits his fears and doubts to Adrian the night before the fight be filmed, even though production was running far behind and the producers wanted to skip it. Stallone had only one take for the scene, despite the fact that he considered it to be the most important scene in the film.)

There is no time for us former over-eaters like the holidays to understand--We have to be our own version of Rocky. We have to fight those feelings of doubt. No one is immune from doubt.

It's what you do about that doubt that matters--
  • We need to keep fighting the fight.
  • Pick ourselves back up, when we get knocked down. 
  • Refuse to be the victim. 
  • Psych up with our best coaching of ourselves...our best visions for ourselves. 
  • Strive for triumph. 
  • Small daily victories are huge-er than you realize, and they change your trajectory.

So I leave you with triumphant groovy Rocky music for your own personal psych-up today:


(According to IMDb:When shooting his famous jog through the streets of Philadelphia, Sylvester Stallone pulled a tendon in his leg and was taken to a nearby hospital in a wheelbarrow. See? Even Rocky had those types of days.)


Your personal triumph matters. 

What do *you* think? Are you having any holiday issues? Or not? If not, what are you telling yourself to keep confident? Please share any positive motivation.

Have a Groovy & Triumphant Day!

:-) Marion

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I swear Marion, we were separated at birth. LOL Right there with you, sistah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen! Yes, we are definitely long-lost relatives. We've gotta be. :D

      Delete
  2. After I lost the weight, I remember having a hard time during the holidays. Looking back, I think it was mainly because I had been too strict for many months, too focused on being "perfect. I literally hadn't eaten any "bad" food for many, many months. It was actually not a realistic way to maintain the weight loss and stay "sane."

    Now I focus every day on making healthy choices and balancing any splurges out over the next few days. Every meal is the opportunity to make a healthy choice. I also go for daily walks, and they make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! You speak from years of experience. You're so even-keeled about all of this. This is how I hope to feel, perhaps next holiday season.

      For now--I'm just a second-yearbie on good holiday eating. Last year, I actually lost weight during the holiday season, but I must remind myself, as everyone at TOPS has, I weighed more last year. So even with my doubts and questionable food choices here and there, I'm probably doing better than last year, even with my weight bobbles--at a lower weight. It doesn't feel like that though. The weight loss rush (last year) was huge... the maintenance thing is fine on a normal day, but feels different and more formidable for holidays. I'm just going to have to get more experience for holidays under my belt. :D

      Delete
    2. I think maintenance involves quite a bit of learning and figuring what will work long term. And there are ups and downs. It's normal but something that isn't acknowledged often enough. Also, when you'll look back at this year's holiday season next year, it may not even seem that difficult because you'll just see the big picture (that you did fine overall). And, yes, I bet next year's holiday season will be quite an improvement over this year as you'll be able to draw on all you've learned and figured out this year (and before). :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not having specific "holiday" issues, but I have a great day when I feel invincible and then I'll have one when I eat too much. Too much is bad even if it is mostly too much fruit. Yep, we keep fighting the good fight. I love Rocky. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caron! Well, that's great! I think I'm okay with the parties, and probably more fearful of the 7 layer bars my daughters will make on Christmas Eve. However, as oldest daughter said, we could make less than our usual amount. Half the recipe. Or just make less treats in general. We're already planning to *not* fill stockings. The youngest teen is 15 and he recommended that. So I have a plan that is definitely better than last year's plan. I haven't had any invincible days lately, but I'm looking forward to the next one. :D

      Delete
  4. I've been battling for the last few weeks while on the blasted steroid drops because it screwed up my tummy and taste buds not to mention my sinuses and throat. but though I have eaten way off plan I was STRICT with portion control and I'm happy to report a 5 pound loss for the time period I'm at 211 now! thanks for always knowing what to say when I need to hear it darlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Timothy! Well, I'm just glad that your eye is getting better. But the weight back in control is just wonderful too. :D

      Delete
  5. One day at a time is how I tackle the Holidays. I won't do perfect, but I will do good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! I think blog readers should pay more attention to what you do. You probably have very good rules to keep within your slim weight. :D

      Delete
  6. I need to watch Rocky. I just viewed the clip and my hubby came in and looked over my shoulder and watched too. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! Yes, you should *definitely* watch Rocky again! It is my very favorite movie of all time--so of course I'd say that! But really, you should. :D

      Delete
  7. My only issue with the holidays is handling people...I am always worried about how I can manage being stern when people get pushy...hopefully this time I will be stronger, I have practiced being strong for the entire year

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just caught up on all the January Jeans posts that appeared while I was out of town. Nice work coming up with inspirational themes and ideas! I will focus on small daily victories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you mentioned the 7-layer bars in a comment. They are my nemesis, and always have been. I can't have them in the house. I enjoyed the "Rocky" references.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely having a few issues during this time of year, but it's not all because of the holidays or food - though it's all kind of tumbling into one big issue. I don't feel like myself, and I'm frustrated because things are so hectic right now that I don't seem to be able to find the time to find myself right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The holidays are a huge trigger for my eating issues. The last few years I have managed to successfully navigate the holidays without gaining any weight, however, the stress and overwhelming amount of food is exhausting. I am really trying to escape it this year as well as find better coping skills when confronted with the inevitable onslaught of treats. Exercise, yoga, breathing, food journaling and having lots of healthy food prepared and on hand are some of the tools I have been utilizing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! Have a wonderful day!